One of my favorite things about the holidays is the rush of so many cherished memories from this time of year. Stringing popcorn garland with my mom, driving around the neighborhood late at night with my parents and four siblings in our station wagon searching for the best light display, and of course waiting at the top of the stairs Christmas morning for my dad to set up the video camera. I have found myself as an adult repeating so many of these and adding our own family traditions along the way.
The holiday season is often is associated with over commercialization of the season, rightfully so for many reasons. It can however be a season that creates and celebrates so much joy if you center on what is most important to you and your family. Before the craziness starts, before you make your holiday list of people you would like to give to, consider taking some time to reflect and write down how you want to experience the holiday.
Ask yourself a few questions:
- What do you want to feel?
- What do you want to experience?
- Whom do you want to celebrate?
- Whom do you want to share this season with?
- What are your favorite holiday songs, movies, books and foods?
- What type of memories do want to create?
- What are your favorite traditions from years past?
- Is there a new tradition you want to add?
- Do you want to help anyone during this season? If so, how?
- How do you like to slow down and cherish the season while it is going on?
- What boundaries do you need to protect you during this crazy time?
- Are there any triggers for you that you need to prepare for?
- Why is all of this important (consider applying this question to each question you ask yourself)?
I am so excited for this holiday season ahead. There is much to celebrate and experience through our eyes and through the wonder of our children’s eyes. As a family, we will be sure to cherish and experience old traditions from our families as well and enjoy the new ones that we have created.
I wish you and your family a joyous holiday season full of everything you are centered on. Happy Holidays!
Follow Katherine Liola’s Financial Fitness Planning Tip of the week every Friday on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
Advisory services offered through Commonwealth Financial Network®, Registered Investment Advisor.
Schedule a Consultation
Got questions? We'd love to spend some time getting to know you and your goals, and offer our best insight into the right investment strategy for you. Schedule a consultation today.